Saturday 20 July 2013

Bird Story

It was easter holidays and I was on my way to my boyfriends place in the morning when I happened to see in the middle of the road a pukeko (native bird)

A truck zoomed past narrowly missing the frightened bird which flapped its wings furiously. Fortunately there was no other traffic around as I pulled over to the side of the road and went to rescue the dear bird. When I got to the bird I could see it was distressed and in shock and there was poop on the gravel.

It had a graze on its legs but otherwise was in good health with no broken limbs/wings. It let me pick it up and take it over to the reserve nearby.

I will never forget the warm tingling feeling I got from having taken the pukeko out of harms way for it would surely have met its demise if it had stayed in the middle of the road.

It was also an incredible feeling to hold a native bird as usually you cant get anywhere near them. They are exquisite birds with royal blue and jet black feathers, a red beak and stilt like legs.

It was a moment of courage for me and one I will always remember for sure - I think the bird knew I was trying to help or maybe it was shock - whatever it was it was truly a memorable moment that I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment